17 October 2008

Death Valley

What an astonishing place this is...what a day, what a great group of people, what an experience.

Up early this morning, I was already excited.  Slept light last night because I had so much on my mind...a long day of travel didn't help that.  Thinking too much is what I do...like its my JOB.  Grand Rapids to Chicago, Chicago to Las Vegas, on the bus from Vegas to Death Valley.  All told, it was a good 12 hours of traveling.

I listened to some music, watched a movie, and started on a book I borrowed from a friend (thanks Erin!).  I was able to keep myself from going nuts...but, I wouldn't say it was a fun day.

But, with all that said, getting here this afternoon made it worth while.  Unpacked, got my bike and set it up, tossed on my swimsuit and hopped in the pool.  Hung out with the gang, laughed, traded some jokes and some barbs...had a great dinner and then watched the moon come up over the mountains.  The sky is so dark and so clear...I'm watching the stars as I type this and it is simply breath taking.

Thanks, MC, for talking me in to this.  I know you didn't have to twist my arm too badly...I was a pretty willing participant.  But, still, if you hadn't asked I wouldn't be here enjoying this evening.  And, I'm damn glad to be here.  What a place!

0 comments: