18 July 2008

100 Miles before breakfast?

Well... I was invited to join some of the nutcases from VCC in a pre-bagel-ride ride. The plan was to knock out 70-75 miles and be back to the shop by 8:30. Then do the bagel ride of about 25 miles...giving us a century (roughly) ride before breakfast.

4:30AM at the shop? Sure!

100 miles before breakfast? Why not?!?

100 miles for the Holland Hundred tomorrow...giving me back-to-back century rides? Heck yes!

Well...it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Alarm went off at 3:30AM...about 3 hours after falling asleep. And...I immediately regretted my decision. What an idiot!

In spite of my initial reaction this morning, the ride was great. KP, MC, Aaron, Greg, Chad, and myself...6 weirdos on bikes, with headlights and blinkies were on the road by about 4:45AM. We had a ton of fun. Rode in the dark for a while, saw a lot of deer, watched the sun come up while on our bikes, toured some of the most scenic roads Allegan/Ottawa counties have to offer, and got a great workout. Pace was quick for the distance...at least, it was for me. Everyone else appeared to be pretty comfortable...but, I really had to work to keep up with them for 70 miles.

Eventually, we found our way back to the shop where the Yardes, J2 (John Jasker), Keith, Sloan, and others joined us. Finished our morning with breakfast at The Good Earth.

All-in-all...a great morning. I have 93 miles on my bike by about 10AM. Not bad!

Tomorrow morning I'm meeting up with Berger, and probably others, to do the Holland Hundred. The Yardes are riding and I'd like to ride with them...but, I imagine they are going to ride a slightly higher pace than Berger and I will be doing. I'm hoping tomorrow will be a leisurely, and slightly more relaxing 100 miles than this morning. I think Berger would agree!

Besides... there is a pancake breakfast, several water stops, and another food stop along the way. How can I go wrong with that? And, I'm determined to stop at Kilwins in Saugatuck on our way through. I'm not sure how much time we'll have...but, I'm making time for an ice cream cone. Even if I have to eat it while we ride. I'm getting some Mint Chocolate Chip. I don't care if it does cramp my stomach while I ride. I'm eating me some ice cream!

Sounds like Sunday should be a rest day doesn't it? Well, you'd be mistaken. Instead, I'll be doing the "long" JDRF training ride for the week. I'm imagining that Sunday evening will include 18 hours of sleep on my part. Possibly a coma. We'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ross, this was one of the most fun rides I have ever been on. Who would have thought we would be sprinting for every sign in sight (regardless of what it was for) during a century? Remember the cows I pointed out? I discovered today that they were actually horses so I can't be disappointed that they didn't moo back at me anymore.

ceningolmo said...

Thanks Aaron... I had a blast too! We'll definitely need to do that again. Next time...I say we start at midnight and do an "overnight century".

Now that you discovered the cows were actually horses...imagine how confused you would have been if they HAD moo'd at you!?!