31 July 2008

800+ Miles in July

Well..according to my Training Journal on www.mapmyride.com, I've put in 803 miles in July. And, the journal tends to read my mileage just a bit short because of the conversion from my GPS to the mapping software. So, the total is probably a little higher than that...possibly as much as 825 for July.

Not bad!

Now, it's time to get a bit more focused and start treating my body a little better.

Yesterday night I was feeling like I was at an all time low. And, that had a lot to do with my performance in the race last night. But, it had even more to do with some other things I've had going on at work. Especially yesterday.

I only slept about 3 hours on Tuesday night. And, because I was heavily stressed about some things I needed to do at work on Wednesday, I never ate anything. No breakfast. No lunch. By about 4:30 I was exhausted from a lack of food and liquids and the stress of work.

When I hopped in my car at 5:30 to head to Grattan...I was in rough shape. So, I stopped at the gas station and bought a snickers and a Mt. Dew in the hopes that some sugar and some caffeine might get me through the race.

Obviously that didn't work.

Today I feel a little better. And, looking back at it, I realize that I am not in good enough physical condition to mistreat my body so badly and still expect to be competitive. 3 hours of sleep, stress, no food, and no energy means all bad news for me.

But, now that I've looked at my July mileage total...I realize that I've had a great month. So, I'm not going to stress out about last night.

What I am going to do is be a bit more diligent about preparing for rides. I need to be MUCH more conscious about my food intake. I need to do a better job of getting enough sleep. And, I need settle back in to a rhythm at work that will allow me to work in a slightly lower stress environment.

0 comments: