26 May 2008

Holland Hundred!!

Well...as of 5 minutes ago I am officially registered for the 100 mile loop of the Holland Hundred. Sweet.

Now what? This is my first time doing the Holland Hundred...in fact, this will be my first attempt at a Century ride.

Logic tells me that I can survive it...I've done 75 miles in a day (with some rests) before. And, I'm planning to add more mileage between now and July. So, I think I can handle the distance. But, still, I'm a bit apprehensive.

Carmen was thinking she wanted to do the same ride. And, I'd definitely be down with riding with her...she's a blast!!

And, Jeff Wert had made the suggestion that he was going to try to do the HH. So, he may want to ride with me as well. That, too, would be sweet. Though, I haven't heard from him at all since he left VCC...I suspect he's plenty busy making his new job a success. He may not have time for the HH, or the training needed before hand.

I guess it would make sense to try to get in with a "group" who is going to do the ride. Maybe there is a JDRF contigent? MC, John Jasker, Brian, Heather, etc...? I'm not sure if any of them are planning to participate. And, if so, who they are planning to ride with.

So...I suppose this is a not so subtle attempt to recruit friends ahead of time. Anyone else riding? Anyone else willing to endure my blather during a 100 mile stroll through West Michigan countryside?

I may not be fast...but, I do have to stop and pee a lot. So, I've got that going for me. ;-)

Just kidding.

So, anyone want to ride with me?

If I don't get some responses I can just wing-it at the starting line. I'll just try to meet up with some people and start riding. The problem with that theory is that I will almost certainly end up tagging along with a group that includes Frank Yarde or Dave Blandford (or, analagous rider I may not know), and I will spend 100 miles lost in the country side, suffering because I'm just barely keep up with the pace, and wondering why in the world I thought this was a good idea.

So, I ask again. Anyone?

4 comments:

Danielle Musto said...

If you need someone to do long training rides with, I might know someone....I can put you in touch with her if you want :-)

ceningolmo said...

Sounds great...but, you're not planning any hill repeats are you? I'm not ready for that particular level of pain!

Jeff Wert said...

I am still in for the HH. All I need to do is spend the next 7 weeks getting in to shape so I don't have to ride back to town in the white van with flashing lights. Oh yeah, hi! I will try to do a better job keeping in touch. Feel free to check out my new blog to see what life has been like lately. Take it easy and ride hard!

MC said...

Dude - I haven't been able to ride the HH since about 1980! Gimme a break!(If I could though.....I'd be all about it!) There is usually a decent-sized JDRF contingent but remember that this year we have a Training Ride in Montague the next day. (With a pool party!!!) Due to that and the fact that we (the JDRF Team) are doing that post-Holland 100 B-B-Q deal I'd be willin' to guess that there won't be too many of your teammates plannin' on the full enchilada mileage-wise. Still.....there will be folks that you know as the day draws nigh. Just be sure to save something for Sunday!

Shoot - Just ride both days...I did a training ride the day after the Lumberjack last year. (Oh sure - I spent a lotta time @ the back....but so what?)

Time for a new post, by the way!