30 May 2008

Tandem Ride

Well... I probably should have posted on this topic earlier. But, I'm lazy...so buzz off.

MC, in what seems to be a consistent part of his nature, very generously allowed me and my son Davis to borrow the shop Tandem for last week Tuesdays group ride. And...drum roll please...it was a blast!

I know, shocking. This is probably headline news...I'm excited about something having to do with getting on a bike and riding it somewhere. Try to contain yourself.

OK...so, seriously though, this was way above and beyond the call of duty. I just had a tremendous amount fun.

Davis and I arrived at VCC well in advance of ride time or closing time. Early. WAY early, in fact. Which gave the two of us a chance to head over to Froggy's for a kids meal, get a toy, and then spend some time annoying the staff at VCC before heading out on the ride.

MC pulled the pedals from my r5, fitted up the seat height for both Davis and I, and then put on some cage pedals for Davis. It didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would...either MC is remarkably effecient, or...get this...I just don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Probably both.

In any case, we had plenty of time to take a little test ride. We started this test ride with locking Davis in to the pedals and then me allowing the bike to fall over on top of him. Not exactly a confidence inspiring start...especially for the 7 year old who was stuck under the tandem.

A short trip around the block revealed that we needed to be very attentive to locking his shoes in to the cages very tightly. We hit a small series of bumps and his feet immediately came free of the pedals. This necessitated a stop at the side of the road to reinstall his feet. This time we managed to get him saddled up without dropping the bike on top of him. Go me!

Davis seemed to feel comfortable and I was ready to rock...now we just needed everyone else to show up. What was taking so long? Shouldn't they all be here by now? I look at my watch...it's only 4:45.

Did I mention we got there early?

Once the ride FINALLY got organized we got started, Davis was pretty excited. I tried explaining ahead of time that he would have to pedal the whole time...that his feet would be stuck pedaling the same as mine. But, that the didn't actually have to put any pressure on the pedals. He could push when he felt like it and then just lay off when he felt like it.

This was a lesson that took a couple miles for him to learn...I realized he was REALLY pedaling a couple times when I had started to slow-up near a Stop Sign or a traffic light...the bike was really being pushed, even when I had let up. Ha...the little guy was back there pushing me along up hills!

Predictably, that didn't last long. By the time we made it out of town and had made the turn south along the lakeshore he was gassed. So, I reminded him that he just didn't have to push...just let me do the work and let his feet go along for the ride.

This time the message sunk in and he finally started to just ride along without the gasping and heavy breathing. Unfortunately, it was COLD along that stretch of road that goes around Gilligan Lake. Poor little guy was back there complaining he was tired and cold and that he wanted to go home.

Luckily, though, we made the turn away from the lake and the temp came up a bit. His mood lightened, we got out of the shade and back out in the sunshine, and we started riding past some scenery that he found interesting. Farms.

He started noting....then counting...the animals we passed. Cows. More cows. Horses. Ponies...which, oddly enough, he classified as a seperate group from horses. Not sure how his logic was working on that one...but, what am I going to do? Argue with the 7 year old on the back of my bike? Anyway, Llamas...were a highlight. Thanks to MC who made sure our route took us out past the llama farm. Sweet.

After counting up farm animals...Davis made the decision to begin counting up dead animals. Yes, the obligatory road-kill. Tally them up.

Obviously, this was a trend I tried to stop...so, I distracted him with more farm animal counting. I mean, really... I don't actually want to know how many dead cats, squirells, racoons, dogs, or wildebeast we were passing along the way. Seriously.

IN the end we both enjoyed the ride thoroughly. Davis was plenty tired at the end...which is to be expected. But, he seemed to really enjoy himself.

So, of course, this means that MC has probably sold a tandem. The trick will be convincing my wife that I need to spend that much money on ANOTHER bike. Ha. Fat chance. But, I'll try.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you two had a blast riding it. Kate and I have only been out once and I have to say that it was a delight to ride with her the whole time. If you get a Periscope, the whole family can rotate using it.