25 May 2008

Ready to write?

I seem to be plagued by a certain level of writers block. Actually, now that I am writing it...it occurs to me that writers block isn't a fair description of what I have...

It's not that I can't figure out what to write. That always seems to come along easily enough. At least it does once I've chosen a topic. But, that is probably closer to the problem. The topic...or lack thereof.

I've been struggling to find topics lately. Well...that's not precisely true. I've struggled to find topics that are sufficiently interesting to motivate me to post on my blog lately.

It's not that I can't find a topic. Hell, I could post a series of ranting lunacy every day on the topic of the weather. If I truly were using this blog as a sort of journal, I might do just that. Since I'd only have to worry about an audience of me...it wouldn't really matter if anyone else found the topics entertaining.

However, I use this blog as more than a journal. To some extent I construct these posts as a sort of open letter...not addressed to any specific audience. My Google analytics does indicate that I have a small, but loyal, readership. So, I don't feel like I should disregard the idea of considering my audience. To some extent, I should try to post things on this blog that will make sense, read rationally, and mean something to more than just me.

Granted, I'm not talking about meaning and rationality in the Jeffersonian or Marxist sense of writing. We're not talking about writing in speculative attempts at reforming the world. I'm just hoping that the topic I choose allows any reader of this blog to remain sufficiently interested to actually finish each post.

And, I suppose that is the crux of the problem. A topic occurs to me during the course of the day..."I should probably discuss this topic on my blog", I announce to myself silently. I make a mental note, and move on. However, when I reach the end of the day, the topic I made note of so rarely seems to be worth the effort. I'm tired, hungry, distracted, etc...and the previously important topic no longer seems all that important. Or, at least, not important enough to sit down and construct a post on this blog that is as entertaining as I would like it to be.

Maybe I should just lighten up!

And, I think that is the other problem. My ideal is to post on this blog with a general sense of humor. My topic may cause me to rant with faux anger...perhaps to the exhaustion of the unknown audience...but, in the end my goal is humor. But, I don't always feel humorous...or, not enough to make my chosen topic interesting by my ow internal measurement.

Thus...my blog has sat without much activity this past month.

Maybe I'm just whining.

Whatever...I'm too tired to worry about it. No matter what...I know John Jasker wouldn't be stressing out about this type of thing.

Speaking of Jasker...and the rest of the gang. Hopefully I'll get to see a batch of them today at the Dessert Ride (Not desert ride)! 40 miles-ish, followed by a boat load of sugary goodness back at VCC. How can you go wrong there?!

Maybe we should try a desert ride sometime...any desert-like conditions in the West Michigan area? Do sand dunes count?

And, since I'm on the topic of random subject changes. Hi Ted!

0 comments: