22 August 2008

Twas a nice day

I'm tired and I've had a great day...so, this is going to be a short post.  But, as I'm basking in the afterglow of a lovely day at home I feel like I should make some effort to document it.

Took the day off work so that I might enjoy some time with my family on my Birthday.  So, no work for me...it was nice...I haven't taken a full day off of work in a couple weeks.

Slept in a little bit...eventually I rolled out of bed (about 7:30 or so) and made my way out to VCC in Holland.  I wanted to do the Bagel Ride...and, I'm glad I did.  It was a fun ride.  Lots of great people, as usual, a good route, a good pace and a couple sprints to keep things spicey.  Had the chance to relive The Incident from the race on Wednesday Night at Grattan (see MC's post on his blog).  Lots of trading stories with the gang...and, listening to Aaron and MC tell their tale.  Since they actually landed in the pile, their recollection of the events was somewhat more interesting than mine.

After the ride we went to The Good Earth for some breakfast.  I had the usual, we traded more stories, I got to hang out with Berger for a while...and we got rained on a little.

Went back to VCC, bought myself a Gift Certificate (don't ask), and hung out for a little bit.  Hanging out at VCC is always a fun time...I like to wander and dream about what I would spend my money on if I actually had any.  Since I don't have any...I generally have to spend massive amounts of time scrutinizing every detail of every minute purchase; feeling that if I make a mistake I might have wasted a valuable opportunity to spend my money on something better.

After VCC I went home, hopped in the hot tub for a few minutes and hit the showers.  Got dressed, got the family packed up the van, and went out to lunch with my parents.  They took us out for Olga's...so, I had a Snackers attack.  Yummy.  Ate enough Snackers to tide me over for about a year.

After lunch I indulged in a nap and a small amount of Olympic coverage.  Followed that up with some time in the pool with Davis.  Score.

Finally, Karin decided we should go out for a birthday dinner.  So, we went back out to Holland and had dinner at 8th st. Grill.  And, since I'd already blown any chance of being healthy while at Olga's...I decided to abondon all sense of concern for my health.  Oreo Milk Shake? Yep.  Olive burger?  Don't mind if I do!  A couple bowls of Corn Chowder?  Yes, please.  French fries?  Uh huh.  It was the whole fat-guy fun pack.  I left feeling very happy, and exceptionally fat.

So, how does one follow up a meal like that?  Well, we stopped by The Peanut Store.  I wanted to buy MC a bag of chocolate covered peanuts...in the hopes that I might make myself feel better about my self indulgence by fattening him up a little too.  ;-)

After that, it was time to head home.  And, finally...the couch, the olympics, and the end of a great day.

Ahhhhhhhh.  That was a nice.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude you came to Holland for dinner and didn't visit my place? Must I start shopping at a different golf joint?

ceningolmo said...

It was a budgetary concern, good sir. It's not that I didn't want the tastey food available at your establishment. Duh!

I'll holla at ya next time my wife and I are looking for a nice evening out.

Unknown said...

That's cool! By the way, I forgot to say Happy Birthday. So happy belated Birthday!