09 February 2008

I'm a Cyclist Too

When I first got started on this sport/hobby...I had no idea what a fraternity I was joining (yes, sorority also. This isn't a gender bias thing. I just happen to be a guy).

It started with an interest in completing a Triathlon...a task that seemed impossibly difficult to me when I made the decision to try it. My decision to become a Tri guy lead me to have need of a bike shop. I needed someone who could help me get my old Lotus in shape. I tried a few, and then found Velo City Cycles.

Mike, Jeff, Dave, Ted, Aaron, and Sandy have all done little things to make me feel at home with them. I've had contact with some more than others...but, they each have done their part. And, each has made me feel comfortable in becoming a 'cyclist'. It was like they were inviting me to join their little club...it's just been cool to learn from them all.

On my way to work this morning I was passed by a little Prius hybrid (which, frighten me by the way. They are so stinking quiet! Scares the crap out of me when they pass me, because I don't hear them coming at all). It was real early on a Saturday morning, so I basically hadn't seen anyone on the roads yet.

When the car passed me and pulled up to the stop light ahead, he was sort of straddling the regular lane and the left turn lane. As if he couldn't make up his mind which lane he belonged in. So, as I pulled up to the light I went passed him and stayed in my lane going straight. Turns out he was in that lane waiting for me to catch up...

as I pulled up next to him he rolled down his window. "Good morning", he said. I was a bit surprised, but hopeful in view of recent events (see posts from last week).

"You're well marked", he said.

Ha...he knows what he is talking about. Only cyclists say things like well marked when referring to lights.

"Great to hear it. Thanks!" I replied.

"I'm a cyclist too." he offered...which I had figured out already. "Good!" was all I had the chance to say before the light turned green and we both needed to shuffle off to our respective destinations. I wish we could have continued the conversation.

His statement stuck with me after we separated though, which struck me as interesting. He's a cyclist too...? That sort of summarizes how I feel every time I pass someone on their bike while I am driving. I want to yell it out the window.

It also summarizes how I feel when I go do the Fun Raiser rides with the VCC gang, or doing Tuesday night rides with the CB guys, or desperately trying not to die durin a KissCross event. Riding with people of vastly superior ability, equipment, and fitness...I hang in there. Having fun...and, think to myself. "I'm a cyclist too!"

Maybe someday I'll be able to bring someone else in to this sport. My kids, maybe. Or my wife. A coworker or a friend. Someday I'll convert someone. Then, I'll have created someone who looks at me on my bike and says "I'm a cyclist too".

2 comments:

Daffodil said...

Ross~
I remember when you started training for your first triathlon. I'm proud of you for sticking with it and becoming a Cyclist!
~Daffodil

MC said...

As much as I hate to quibble.......you're ALMOST a cyclist at this point. Don't get me wrong......you are well on your way and it's gonna be a fun journey but you'r not REALLY a cyclist 'til you can answer "yes" to at least 4 of the next 6 questions:

1. Have you shaved your legs, despite your wife's concern? (Sorry Ladies...this one's a tad gender-specific!)
2. Are there bike parts in the dishwasher?
3. Have you spent more time @ the bike shop than @ the office this week?
4. If the answer to #3 was 'no", do you plan on changing that?
5. Is there some grease under your fingernails that you just can't get out?
6. If the answer to #5 is "yes", do you like that?

Again......you are well on your way! Stay the course, keep the wheels turning, keep readin' Maynard and don't spend too much time on the mat......and you'll be there!
(Assuming you remember how to get to the shop....you seem to have forgotten!)

MC Hammered