29 February 2008

What a ride!

Wow... today was an adventure. Left the house at 5:30 this morning and it was snowing HARD. Snowed on me the whole way to work. Slight breeze out of the east which, sadly, changed to a steady wind out of the West for my trip home. Thus, I had the privilege of riding in to the wind in both directions. Yikes.

Anyway, this morning the road were in rough shape. I left before any plows had made any real effort to clear the roads. So, even the busy roads were covered in a couple inches of fresh snow. Unfortunately, enough people had driven on the roads to create ruts, but not enough to effectively pack down the snow. So, it was a bit dicey...lots of trying to keep the bike in a rut, only to have the edge of a tire catch the edge of the rut and yank the front tire out from under me. About every 15 feet I had one of those scary moments where either/both of the wheels get squirely and it feels like the bike is heading for the ground. After a while, it didn't even feel scary. I had accepted my fate...I figured the fall was innevitable so why worry about it?

Luckily the afternoon ride home was a bit more tame, though wet. Sadly, it was in to a reasonable headwind. I always find that to be a real bummer when I'm riding by myself...fighting a headwind with a group is unpleasant. Fighting a headwind by myself makes me want to hit the quit life button. Anyway...I made it home. I'm exhausted for some reason. Need a good night of sleep...then back on the bike tomorrow morning. Wow...hope the roads are better tomorrow morning than they were this morning.

0 comments: