05 February 2008

Traveling isn't much fun anymore

There was a time when I rather enjoyed travelling for business. There was always a sense of adventure that went with it. Mind you, this isn't the "climb a mountain, experience a different country, do some espionage" type adventure. But, still, it was sort of fun to go to another city, another store, with new people, and try to help.

I always missed my family. I never enjoy the process of airline travel, though I do enjoy flying. But, the trip itself tended to break up the monitony. It was never entirely clear what kind of a situation I would find when I arrived. And, I rarely knew anyone when I would get there. So, it was definitely a break from the norm.

Plus, there were the added benefits of living on the companies dime while I am out of town. In fact, that was about the only financial incentive to do the travel. Meals and lodging were free...and, with a $30ish per diem for daily meals, I could generally eat pretty well.

However, as I look at embarking on another trip this afternoon, I find that I'm just not looking forward to it anymore. I still don't like the process of airline travel, though I do enjoy flying. But, any of that excitement about what I will find when I land is fading. It's not that it isn't there any more. It still is. But, spending time away from my family is becoming more and more difficult as my kids get older. Rather than being excited about the chance to go and do something new this week...I find myself wishing that I could just stick with my routine.

I'd rather be at home with the kids, at home with my wife, at home coaching the wrestling team, riding my bike, swimming some laps, and at home minding my own store. I've got plenty to work on in the next couple weeks.

This week I am going to attend regional meetings for two days. It's not a long trip. And, it's not as if this is taking me away from things for a long period of time. These meetings are important because it allows all of us to get on the same page...and, that is tough to do over the phone. You need to be able to be in a room with people to really accomplish anything.

Still...I just don't feel excited about it. I feel...tired. Maybe some Carolina sunshine will help. I hope I get to see some it.

2 comments:

MC said...

Man! Sounds like SOMEONE needs to HARDEN THE F#*K up!!!!!!

There.....now that I have that outta my system....I totally feel ya Bro. Unless I'm goin' somewhere to ride my bike, I'm not all that fired up about it anymore. There was a time when it seemed kinda grown-up and exotic, now I'm irritated by the involved process of getting through security, being treated as a prospective villian, enduring lousy customer service and crappy seats.

So...travel safe, try not to whine too much and we'll see you when you get back!

Okay Stefan?

ceningolmo said...

Damnit...does this mean I need to change out of my skirt and cancel my manicure?

Seriously, though...I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it felt "grown-up and exotic". It was something I took some pride in...that my company thought enough of my contribution to spend the money to fly me somewhere. Maybe I'm just getting jaded...I used to be excited to fly. Now, I'm grumpy if I can't upgrade to first class, or if I have a layover longer than an hour. Maybe I am just a loser.

BTW...you da man. Thanks for keeping me excited about staying on my bike.