24 March 2008

Beautiful Afternoon commute

It was just flat cold this morning. 15 degrees when I hopped on the bike at about 5:45AM. I got warm eventually...but, man, it is just too late in the year for that kind of temperature. Even with the boots over my shoes, my toes were getting numb at the end.

Luckily the ride home this afternoon was better. Still only about 32-34 degrees outside. But, that sunshine makes all the difference in the world. I rode home with just my base layer and jersey. No sweater over the top! Felt great to be a little lighter, a little less restrained.

I trucked it home at a pretty good pace (for me). Seems like I'm always in the mood for a little rest when I'm getting close to home. Plus, its nice to stop and try to get my courage up for that last 2 mile stretch up Baldwin in Jenison. It is the busiest section of road I travel during my entire commute, and I'm always a bit nervous when I'm on it in the afternoon.

So, sometimes on the way home I stop at Village Bike in Jenison. It's on my way and its a good "safe for cyclists" place to rest for a couple minutes while I get my courage up. I always feel like a bit of an outsider when I am in there though...nearly everything I own came from Velo City Cycles. And, its obvious to the guys who work at Village that I haven't been shopping with them. So, I'm always a bit self conscious when speaking to their staff.

They're always friendly. I've never had anyone tell to buzz-off or anything. So, I'm sure my feelings are unfounded.

Anyway...I was surprised, today, when I dropped by their shop and one of their managers took notice of the pannier I use. He seemed fascinated by the design of the locking mechanism and the general quality of the product. I told him a bit about it...and he seemed genuinely interested. He concluded that he was going to need to get some of the Arkel products. Maybe he was just trying to make conversation, maybe he was just trying to make me feel good about myself, or maybe he really liked the product. I don't know...I was just a bit surprised by the whole exchange.

In any case, I don't make it any secret that I do my shopping at Velo City Cycles. Whenever someone asks where I got my bike, where I do my riding, where I got my jersey, etc...I'm honest and tell them Velo City. The people at Village are always grascious and complimentary of their competition in Holland. But, still, I always say it with some part of me expecting them to be upset or offended.

Maybe other retailers don't really get upset when you shop their competition. I don't know. Maybe I'm just too competitive. But, I'm genuinely upset every time someone tells me they've spent even a dollar at my competition. I keep my feelings to myself, of course...but, inside I'm broiling over it. I wonder if they're doing the same thing?

0 comments: