18 March 2008

Report Cards

Children. Precious gifts that they are...I have two of them. They're short, have ten fingers and ten toes...have hair in the appropriate places...and, generally, are able to assemble coherent sentences as required.

In truth...they're great kids. But, what am I going to say? I'm their Dad. Anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. My objectivity should immediately be questioned.

With that said...I just returned from conferences wiith their teachers. They both received rave reviews from their teachers. My son is smart and eager to help. He's organized and a natural leader. My daughter is apparently smart and equally eager to help. Though, she seems to be struggling to turn in her homework...thus he grades are suffering. But, this is apparently not an issue with her ability to comprehend...it is a problem with her ability to remember her homework in the morning. Duh!

Man...gonna have to talk with her about that. She sounds like a little version of me. I spent my entire scholastic career getting C's because I failed to do the work. I passed all the tests. Turned in zero homework and received mediocre grades. Sad, really. According to my parents, councilors, teachers, coaches...neighbors, innocent bystanders...I was a promising young man with a prodigous intellect. Sadly, I sucked at life and caused myself to get poor grades.

After reaching the real world, I found out how hard real work is...thus, making the "work" to be done at school seem simple by comparison. So, I am determined not to let my daughter make the same mistake. She's too damned smart for her own good.

0 comments: