06 March 2008

My Recent Disappearance

Last year at this time I had decided to make a commitment to living a little healthier, losing some weight, and most importantly getting in to better physical condition.

The result?

Well, I've run four 5K races, completed a triathlon, done two cyclocross races, done a mountain of training, some group rides, some fun raiser rides (see VCC for explanation) and lost 60lbs. It's been a hell of a year.

Obviously I feel better...how could I not? My physical condition is the best its been in 10 years. I'm lighter, healthier, and generally happier.

With all that said, I would like to comment on a couple things related to my "disappearance" over the past year. The truth is, I haven't disappeared. I'm still here...still working, still spending time with my family, still playing golf, etc. However, there are some people out there who have bumped in to me over the past 6 months who act as if I had moved away for a year and I have recently been rediscovered. This amuses me greatly...apparently I am so visually different than I was a year ago that people are just now realizing that I'm the same guy they knew last year.

So, I'd like to put a stop to the rumors. I'm still here. I'm just skinnier now! Feel free to look me up...I swear I haven't left town or anything. Well, 60lbs of me has...but, the important parts are still here!

It's also been mentioned to me that I have disappeared from some of my usual haunts over the past couple weeks. I can't argue that point...if you mean any place other than my store, you're right. I'm not around much.

It's March...for me, that means it is the warm up for a busy season. Recently completed two of our busiest weekends of the winter season. Also managed to squeeze an inventory in to the same period of time. This is the time of year when I step up from 45-50 hours per week at work, to something a little closer to 60-65 hour per week. So, I'm definitely around a little less...it's unfortunate that I miss out on some things this time of year. But, the next 5 months get pretty crazy.

This year, though, I've decided to put a little more strategy in place in dealing with the heavy workload. I'm planning some specific "don't miss" days that I will race, ride, run, or do something else for myself or family.

So, a tenative schedule for this coming year involves a few things. At the prodding of MC, Aaron, Da'Ve, and Edward (yes, that is you Skip!) I'm planning to start the season at the end of this month with the Time Trial at Fisk Knob. This should be interesting because it may be the first time that the race organizers will need to time a participant with a calendar rather than a stop watch. I plan to finish...it is only 18ish miles. But...uh...it may not be pretty. Naturally, I'm also planning to do the P-Bob ride on Sunday...but, that will complete my planned festivities in March.

I really don't have anything planned for April. I'll definitely need to do some running and start stepping up to two-a-day workouts in order to get ready for the rest of the season. Normally I would plan on doing the April Fun Raiser wih the VCC crew...but, it is on Sunday of the Masters. So, unless it looks like it will be really boring finish (Tiger leading by 10), I probably won't attend that one.

May will mark my first attempt to do the Riverbank Run. At the moment I am shooting to complete the 25K...though, I haven't run much over the winter. So, it will depend heavily on how fast I can get myself ready during the next two months. If my body feels ready, I will do the 25K...if not, I'll at least do the 10K. Either way it should be fun. I believe my wife will be doing the 5K again this year. So, we'll get a chance to race together.

In June I am tenatively planning on doing the Lake Macatawa Triathlon. I am sure I will be ready to complete the race...the question is whether I'll actually be able to get that time away from the store. June is the busiest month of the year for me. And, taking a Saturday off is unlikely. So, it will be a matter of whether I feel like I can complete the race and still work a full day afterward. I'll have to measure that when I get a little closer to the event.

July will bring the July 4th 5K in Dorr...not a huge event. But, I did that one last year and had a ton of fun. So, I definitely want to try again. Maybe I'll beat last years time! The major event I'm planning to try in July is the Holland Hundred. It's hosted by the Macatawa Cycling Club and would be my first attempt to complete a century ride. I'm a bit nervous about that one...hopefully I can get my fitness where it needs to be in order to finish.

In August I want to do the Petoskey Triathlon (Olympic)...it's a pretty setting and will keep me working on swimming and running even when the majority of my workouts will be bike focused.

September will be a big one...I'm already signing up for ODRAM (One Day Ride Across Michigan), which is a 150ish mile ride. This will be my first experience with Velo Ventures (Jeff the Cruise Director will be leading the party) and I'm excited about it. Primarily, though, I'm a little scared about being able to finish the mileage. We'll see. I'm also planning to try to do the Bridge Run downtown in September. I did that 5K last year and really enjoyed it. It's a big event as 5K races go and I'd like to try to go back and beat last years time.

Finally, October. I will participating in the JDRF Death Valley ride. 100ish miles through the middle of Death Valley...I find this to be the most frightening in terms of exertion. But, my theory is that if I complete all these other rides first I should be in good shape to finish this ride. The most frightening part of this ride is getting the money together...I really needed to start fund raising months ago. But, I haven't been able to sign up officially yet. Supposedly I'll be able to do so some time this week.

Alright...long post today. But, lots to discuss with myself (and whatever poor schmuck decides to read it).

0 comments: