08 March 2008

It's on like Donkey Kong

Well... the JDRF FINALLY opened registration for the Death Valley ride in October. So, I'm registered. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

What is this ride, you might ask. Well...it's a 105 mile ride through the middle of Death Valley to benefit the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation). There were be a few hundred other nutcases who will also be doing this ride...all for a great cause.

I'm excited for multiple reasons.

First, this is my first attempt to get involved with this kind of fundrasing for a good cause. It's not that I'm not a charitable guy...it's just that I'm generally working on paying for my debt. But, in this case, I can help this charity through my own physical suffering rather than my wallet. So, seems like a great way to help...105 miles through Death Valley? That should be enough suffering to help out!

Second, I have friends who will also be doing this ride. And, I'm excited to have the chance to train, plan, and eventually ride with them in October. I suspect that companionship will be one of only a few things that will keep me moving when hit the proverbial wall during the ride.

Thirdly, I'm excited to learn a lot about diabetes. I know relatively little. I know my father's father had it. I know that it can be controlled with insulin. I know that I have a couple friends who have it...one of whom was recently diagnosed. Other than that, I don't know much. But, I'm looking forward to learning.

Finally...this is a great personal challenge. Last year I completed a couple 5K races and did a Triathlon. This year I am definitely stepping up the level of challenge. I'm excited, and a little nervous, to find out whether I can actually finish this thing. Yikes.

Anyway...I guess this was sort of a long intro for the inevitable. If you're reading this, please consider donating. It's a great cause...and, you'll get to have the satisfaction of knowing that your donation is spurring my training forward, thus keeping me in near constant physical pain. And that's pretty cool, right?

You'll find a link to donate via my JDRF fundraising page on the right hand side of my blog.

0 comments: