29 March 2008

What's with that guy?

"What's with that guy?" Says race fan #1.

"What guy?" asks race fan #2.

"The guy who just puked on his bike and is limping along pushing his bike up the hill" States race fan #1.

"Oh! That guy. Yeah, he looks bad. He must be a part of the race. But, why does he look like this is his first time on a bike?" Asks race fan #2.

"I don't know, but I'm calling the paramedics" Says race fan #3.


So, Fisk Knob is tomorrow. And, my recent ride yesterday morning has me a bit nervous. A couple trips to the pavement due to icey roads (thank you for the fine late-March weather) leads me to some level of concern. Rocketing (which may be overstating my speed) down the road in a Time Trial race does leave some potential for up close meetings with trees, cars, road signs, fans, old people...all of which are things that I'd prefer not hit at speed.

This will be my first attempt to race a bike on pavement for its own sake. I did a "road race" as a part of my Triathlon last year. But, this will be my first time racing a bike...other than cyclocross, that is.

My daughter will be tagging along tomorrow to do "press coverage" for her family newspaper. So, I'll have the fun of explaining to her why I had to drag the bike behind me as I walked across the finish line. If you're planning to be at the race tomorrow...watch out for the little blonde with the pen and notebook. She's going to be looking for interviews...and, she won't be shy about asking you questions. So, have fun with that!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Ross, I rode to work yesterday and averaged a whopping 15.3 mph on a 5 mile ride and about died. We all have to start somewhere so we can go out next year and have something to beat. Good luck and have fun. ~Aaron