20 April 2008

JDRF Training Ride

Another great training ride today...and, this time I managed to keep myself under control. Go me.

We kept the group together today, and I think everyone had a lot more fun. The pace was leisurely by my standards. But, it appeared that af few were working pretty hard. It was important to remember that the pace wasn't important...we just needed to do whatever was necessary to keep the group together. And, I think we were pretty successful in that regard.

Had the chance to spend some time riding with Jeff, which was nice. He hasn't been riding in a long while due to a knee injury. And, now he is leaving VCC to head back to the world of restaurants. So, it was nice to get in a ride with him while I still had the opportunity.

Poor Cindey struggled with flat tires today...I believe she finished the day with a total of 3. MC found a spot where the tape had moved and exposed a spoke that was poking the tube. Not much could be done about it on the road...just needed to nurse the thing along and keep replacing the tube as necessary.

Weather was perfect...literally. 75 degrees and sunny. It felt amazing...I just wanted to ride forever. The end result is that I have a dandy sun burn on my arms...score!

As for my thoughts on my fitness level at this point in the season. Well, this is difficult to quantify. I suck...but, I believe that I suck less now than I did at this point last year. I did finally open up the throttle for the last two miles of the ride today. I just felt like I needed to go fast for a little while. And, it felt great. Averaged about 22 mph for the last 2 miles of the ride...so, that was pretty good I guess.

So, long story short. I love group rides. It was fun...I can see that this group is going to have a lot fun getting ready over the summer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ross,

You were mistakenly banned from the Google photo group. Please reapply for membership so you can upload photos there as well.

Tom Scheidel

The Cruise Director said...

Ross, it was great to ride with you as well. But please don't think that me changing professions is going to allow you to get rid of me so easily. I still plan on riding as much as the schedule (which I write) will allow me to. So I will be seeing you on the road. And if I am not mistake in about 12 hours!