29 April 2008

Pandora...

I'm reasonably impressed with my ability to collect music based on the same set of criteria that Pandora uses.

Here is the thing. I have a huge collection of music that I like...and, I've started radio stations for a good majority of them on Pandora. Pandora, being the rockin' system that MC said it was has done an excellent job of recommending artists/songs of a similar ilk to my chosen brand. What is interesting about that particular point, though, is that much of what it is recommending to me...I already own. In fact, I've already created another station with that artist in mind as well.

That is not to say that Pandora hasn't done a great job of pointing me in the direction of some Artists that I haven't had previous exposure to, because it has. It's turned me on to a few things that I really like but had previously not heard.

What I find interesting is the amount of crossover in recommendations between what Pandora thinks I should like and what I actually do like. I've had a number of times when I'm listening to a station and I will have 6-8 songs in a row come on that not only have I heard, not only do I like, but that I have liked enough to have already dedicated a station to elsewhere in my profile. I guess that means that I have been subconciously finding out, for years now, that I tend to like the same style of music.

I suppose one might see that as a good or a bad thing. Depends on your perspective I suppose. Either that means that I'm just boring...that my tastes tend to run on to the same type of thing over and over again. That I'm lacking in musical diversity. Monotony, after all, is the hobgoblin of small minds (or something similar).

Or, it means that I have a highly tuned sense of my own tastes and that I have spent years refining my musical collection.

Probably it means I'm just a boring ass...and I should quit worrying about it.

I should take this moment to state that, although most of my tastes have run very similar, I do have some items on my Pandora lists that are wildly different than the rest. Thus, I am claiming that my tastes are somewhat eclectic...in spite of my above ramblings.

You will find a noteable lack of country music (with the exception of Johnny Cash), boy bands, pop music (nearly anything you might hear on the radio), lesbian rock (you'd need to check my wifes Pandora list for that stuff), or show tunes. Sorry...no Rodgers and Hammerstein for me. I just don't spend enough time on self grooming or fashion to enjoy show tunes. Not theres anything wrong with that.

0 comments: