19 April 2008

On the topic of live radio shows

I had Michigan Golf Live host their show live from my store today. This was my first experience with them and it was a lot of fun. From 8 to 10AM and then again from 11AM to 1PM Bill Hobson hosted his show, interviewed members of my staff, and just generally put together an entertaining radio show.

Unfortunately, he had two things working against him.

First, he had some technological difficulties. The entire show was broadcast and mixed via a connection by phone line to a studio elsewhere. So, as you might imagine, it is fairly critical that one have solid, active, stable phone connection in order to complete the show. But, as luck would have it, our phone lines went down for the majority of the show. That means that Bill, in addition to hosting a live talk show, also had to figure out how to rig the show together by cell phone to keep it broadcasting live. It was less than perfect.

Secondly, he was counting on me as his primary guest on the show. So, I had the rare opportunity to expound on the topic of golf and golf technology to a live radio audience. Good lord was that a bad idea. Despite the fact that my wife, family, and friends all claimed that the show sounded good...I'm of the opinion that I babbled like an idiot.

Luckily we were able to set up the show on a stable phone line for the second two hour section of the show. Unfortunately, we had to go off site in order to make that happen. So, Bill could not entertain himself by interviewing other members of my staff...he just had me. For two hours. Of pure, unadulterated, dullness in the form of my opinion on all that might be related to golf. I'm a loser and I believe I proved it today...to a live radio audience. What does that mean? Not much. Just that thousands of people across the state of Michigan whom I might never have otherwise met or interacted with now have a full understanding of my moronocity. Go me.

All kidding aside...I actually had a ton of fun on the show with Bill today. I'm trying to get another segment lined up for next month. I think it will help our business...and, its not too terribly expensive. So, it can't hurt. Right?

0 comments: